Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Starting Point

Tonight over dinner I discussed fertility with a young missionary couple, Brad and Carrie for all you Woodlandites. We also discussed racism, labor, and seminary. But above all we delighted in God. We shared the highs and the lows and God's goodness at all those points. We talked for nearly four hours. Fellowship and community are so beautiful.

We joked about Brad's pride in his fertility, and how he should get passes to the YMCA because his boys can swim. We laughed about how babies are made in China--it's in the water or something. We talked about birth control and how it's like abortion, and I grappled with how I felt about that. Then there was Carrie's random soloiquies about racism, and Chris's family history involving rape and pillage. Any passerby would have marked us crazy--something about sitting in Guadalajara for 4 hours I guess. But what we shared went far deeper than sex and babies and race and the many other things we discussed. We shared that common bond found only in Jesus Christ. What a beautiful thing!

I'll never forget the look in Carrie's eyes as she talked about her students. I'll never forget the way Brad listened so intently as I told about the last year of my life. I won't forget how hard we laughed and how the time flew by so fast. The honesty and the authenticity permeating our conversations and laughter was refreshing. It was good to declare that God is good, and that His love endures even through the darkest of nights. It was good to speak of His wonders and His faithfulness to His children.

Brad encouraged me to start this thing. I don't even know who will read it. But it is a good place for me to continue to declare God's goodness and to archive the journeys He takes me on. Maybe it will bless someone else. I hope it blesses you to hear that God is good. I hope knowing that God is in control stirs some sort of comfort in your spirit. I pray that the thought of Him brings a smile to your face today.

No comments: