Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Finding the Smoke Detector

Not long ago a friend of mine told me that he "discovered his smoke detector." While I laughed at his simplicity, a few weeks later I definitely found my smoke detector.

That particular evening, just as I was getting settled in my cozy bed, that beast went wild. I mean, I was in one of those half-awake states, and I could have sworn the building was on fire. It was ear-piercing and ridiculous--enough to wake someone up from a coma really. I jumped out of my bed fearing for my life and expecting to find my place rapidly turning to ash. I readied myself for an escape out the window, and just as I was deciding whether or not my neighbors would mind seeing me in my drawers, silence. The siren ceased and all that could be heard was my heart pounding in my chest. I felt a little on the insane side and a little violated all at the same time. I paced around for awhile, throwing on lights and trying to make some sense out of the event. None could be found, however, and I returned to my slumber.

The next evening came, and the memory of the events of the previous night were long forgotten and tucked away in my random story folder. And then again. Same story. I just knew I was dreaming. This could not possibly happen two nights in a row without an apparent cause. I mean, was I blowing smoke in my sleep?! I got up more annoyed than frightened. The siren stopped and all was well again.

The next morning, I promptly called the maintenance department at 8:00. I told them my story, and the less-than-helpful-and-kind woman says, "Did you check the batteries." Ha. What an insult to my intelligence. I am not a fool--I know the difference between the this-building-is-burning-down-call-911 and please-change-my-battery-least-I-peep-till-kingdom-come. My batteries were not dying. She insisted that I check them, but I refused and a few hours later new smoke detectors were being installed in my apartment.

I have not had any more rude smoke detector awakenings since, but I have noticed something else that sometimes keeps me awake at night.

When my friend said that he "discovered his smoke detector" he was simply talking about the light. Before, he had never even noticed its presence, but the darkness revealed its bright green light. It has been awhile since my smoke detector mishaps, but lately I notice that green light more and more. Even in the light it is there, but in the darkness it is radiant.

When I turn out the lights at bedtime I am reminded of John 1:5-- The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it. And then I begin to wonder to myself if I am standing far too often in the light with my "holy huddle" and not penetrating the darkness. I am challenged knowing that the darkness cannot overcome the light, but I fear I forget. I fear I am too busy to be the light of the world. O God, rescue me from my selfishness, and make me to shine in the darkest of nights.

No comments: